Fandomtopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music.

+3
ETRD
Ani
Moose
7 posters

Go down

Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music. Empty Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music.

Post by Jəssıca Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm

In my opinion, I feel as if many singers/musicians lose their touch once they become "too famous". By touch, I mean their sense of reality and just remembering where they came from. There's nothing wrong with fame, but if letting getting to the heart and thinking the whole world revolves around just them, well that's when it gets bad. They soon forget about their fans and believe themselves is the reason, or person for why they're even on the front cover of a magazine and such. Also, there is nothing wrong with changing a signature style of music, but there is a difference between exploring diverse genres of music and being a total sellout.

It seems to me most artists only make music to stay relevant, and I don't believe that's right. Why? Once celebrities have something, they should stick with it, even if it doesn't last long. I remember when a favorite singer of mine had a bizarre voice as well as her music, and now she's just plain because she doesn't have that something she had when she first debuted. The problem is, popularity seems to be more significant than quality, and that's how people get mixed up and pushed back. The music just becomes so watered down after a while, and it turns out not to be so much of an opinion anymore to yourself.
Jəssıca
Jəssıca
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1506
Tickets 1604

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music. Empty Re: Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music.

Post by Moose Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

I agree^

When I read that, I first thought of Avril Lavigne...
Moose
Moose
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 3655
Tickets 2969

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music. Empty Re: Thoughts on Musical Artists and Music.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:50 pm

.................... its like you get me xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Ani Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Omg yas
Girl, did u read my mind 
(;
Ani
Ani
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 7561
Tickets 10115

Back to top Go down

Post by ETRD Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Rofl. ^^
ETRD
ETRD
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 3256
Tickets 21075

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadtheRavishing Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Ok here's my two cents on the issue.

I get what you're saying and I totally agree. Especially on the bit about remembering their roots. I just thought I'd explain some of the motivation a lot of artists have and their reasons.

Most of them, repeat MOST, don't necessarily forget. They are constantly under pressure to sell sell sell records and singles and everything. At first, they are new, fresh, and unique, because that's what a lot of record companies are looking for. Their first album is released, and they get their name out there, awesome. Fantastic. This is what they've always wanted! 

But soon they're faced with the mainstream competition. Now, instead of being new and unique, they're last year's news. They are forced to change, to keep evolving, to keep people interested. (Note this is not necessarily true, but it's what the holders of their contracts often tell them). They may not want to change their style, but they need to to keep up with everyone else.

Music artist contracts are HORRID. If you sign one, don't celebrate just yet. There's usually no such thing as a '5-year' or '4-album' contract. They are 1 album contracts, but the record company has the option written in to extend the contract four times. Then they loan you money to make an album, which they aren't even legally obligated to publish and distribute. You then pay back that money with your royalties, which are tiny anyway, so it could take you forever to pay them back. Basically, the company OWNS you. You write and sing what they say you should write and sing. Unless, of course, you get super famous, then all the companies are kissing the ground you walk upon.

Wow that was a long rant, sorry. But this is up close and personal, not because I'm a musician, cause I'm not, but I live in Nashville at a school where half the students are musicians and this business is no walk in the park.
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Jəssıca Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:50 pm

ReadtheRavishing wrote:Ok here's my two cents on the issue.

I get what you're saying and I totally agree. Especially on the bit about remembering their roots. I just thought I'd explain some of the motivation a lot of artists have and their reasons.

Most of them, repeat MOST, don't necessarily forget. They are constantly under pressure to sell sell sell records and singles and everything. At first, they are new, fresh, and unique, because that's what a lot of record companies are looking for. Their first album is released, and they get their name out there, awesome. Fantastic. This is what they've always wanted! 

But soon they're faced with the mainstream competition. Now, instead of being new and unique, they're last year's news. They are forced to change, to keep evolving, to keep people interested. (Note this is not necessarily true, but it's what the holders of their contracts often tell them). They may not want to change their style, but they need to to keep up with everyone else.

Music artist contracts are HORRID. If you sign one, don't celebrate just yet. There's usually no such thing as a '5-year' or '4-album' contract. They are 1 album contracts, but the record company has the option written in to extend the contract four times. Then they loan you money to make an album, which they aren't even legally obligated to publish and distribute. You then pay back that money with your royalties, which are tiny anyway, so it could take you forever to pay them back. Basically, the company OWNS you. You write and sing what they say you should write and sing. Unless, of course, you get super famous, then all the companies are kissing the ground you walk upon.

Wow that was a long rant, sorry. But this is up close and personal, not because I'm a musician, cause I'm not, but I live in Nashville at a school where half the students are musicians and this business is no walk in the park.

You're absolutely right. No argument there, my mom tells me things like this all the time and it is true. I guess artists don't really know what they're actually dealing with once they're really in. Music industry is like the devil's camp, sheesh.
Jəssıca
Jəssıca
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1506
Tickets 1604

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadtheRavishing Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Yeah, most have no idea what they're getting into. It's really rough.
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:51 pm

I totally agree. I guess when you watch an artist on the TV sometimes you can notice that they just want all of the attention. However then you look at other artists who have been in the business for a long time, doesn't want the attention, but wants people to love their music. Music life is a really hard, I mean, there's always going to be drama and all of that stuff. Other times when a certain artist becomes famous or at least "well known" (for the people out there that don't like the word famous) they don't change, or they don't make someone else change them. I understand it if they want to change their sound and grow more mature (like Miley Cyrus did) but they never forget where they started. I look up to the people like her who grows older and their fans grow older with them. It's not like an artist is going to keep on singing these same songs over and over again, they want to make more fresher and brighter sounds and keep their audience/fans wanting more. It really sucks when you see artists that once they are in the spotlight, has sold-out concerts, and whatnot, they think "Hey I don't have any time for anyone, but myself." Those are the types of artists that I rather not listen to. I've grown up with tons of pop artists, however, my music interests is growing as I'm growing myself so I listen to more rock bands now. I look up to mostly Disney stars like Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato, but they love what they do and they care about others, they help raise money for different types of things and those are the kinds of celebrities I rather listen to.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by King K Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 am

This is very accurate xD
King K
King K
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 8187
Tickets 12447

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Locked.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down