Fandomtopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up?

+7
Mark
goCards
ReadtheRavishing
Hazza
Aleesa❥
Ash
lena
11 posters

Go down

How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up? Empty How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up?

Post by crayola washable markers Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 pm

How can I convince my parents into letting me grow up?
It's like they can't get the idea that their ''little girl'' is in highschool
yeah i'm growing up, get over it! TheRE iS No GOiNG BAcK

I can't wear 2 piece bathing suits (not even those high waisted cute ones)
or shorts (not even mid thigh boo)
don't want me to change from newspaper job to better highschooler type of job (waitress, cashier etc) until we move

like what are they doing? I live in canada and frankly 23 degrees (not much to you sunny tan lucky american people) is pretty dang hot to me, in fact it's pretty high here. I AM NOT going to go through summer in jeans and ugly capri's sweating like a freshly grilled&seasoned hotdog in a pit of starving lions. 

pls send help. Mad
crayola washable markers
crayola washable markers
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 604
Tickets 721

Back to top Go down

How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up? Empty Re: How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up?

Post by lena Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Crayola, here's a tip. You should sit your parents down somewhere and talk to them about you situation.
Like: "Mom, dad, I want to____________________ and.... I just don't want to be________________________."
Just tell them how you feel. Maybe they'll understand. Hope this works....
lena
lena
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1887
Tickets 2165

Back to top Go down

How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up? Empty Re: How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up?

Post by Ash Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:24 pm

I have had this problem, but it was mostly in my mind like i was scared to say anything to them about it in doubt that they'd disagree with me, but like probably a year ago i just kinda talked to them about it and its fine now i guess? i don't know what your parents are like so i don't really know what to say, i hope you figure it out
Ash
Ash
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 3
Posts 8711
Tickets 9499

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleesa❥ Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Come up to them michure (that's probably spelled wrong)
Aleesa❥
Aleesa❥
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 4226
Tickets 3904

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:58 pm

You should just tell them how you feel. Hopefully they will understand.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadtheRavishing Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:53 pm

The best "convincing" you can do is to prove to them you're responsible, mature, and ready for these things. To do that, you follow their rules while gently urging them in the right direction. Sorry, but telling them to "get over it" isn't likely to help much. 

I get it. There's no way my parents would even let me leave a store with a two piece bathing suit or even mid-thigh shorts (not that I would wear those, but that isn't the point). I didn't have a job in high school. But if you earn their trust and respect, they'll respond in kind and lengthen the leash a bit, so to speak.

And the above points are valid. If you have clearly spelled out boundaries, ask what it will take or when you can have more freedoms.

And yeah I don't know your parents. But in my experience, respect and trust is earned with respect and trust.

By the way, growing up stinks. Don't wish for it so hard.
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by goCards Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:12 pm

our youth group  has similar guidelines.

not sure exactly, do you have a counter offer?
maybe some interactive furniture
enjoy life, and your loved ones.
goCards
goCards
Posting Guru
Posting Guru

Reputation 0
Posts 16947
Tickets 9297

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 pm

I agree with the above for sure ^^ A way to get shorts is just saying that wearing jeans in the summer is dangerous. Overheating can cause serious health issues like heat stroke. As for the other things, just be sure to respect your parents. I'm sure they love you to pieces and it's breaking their hearts to know that you're one year closer to leaving them. For me, I'm only months away from going to college. That's breaking my parent's hearts already. Just value that they love you enough to actually care about you. Them being like that kinda shows how much they really love you, even if it is annoying. Trust me, you'll miss all of this annoying stuff when you get older. I know Razz
Mark
Mark
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1039
Tickets 1082

Back to top Go down

Post by crayola washable markers Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:04 am

thx for the help guys ~
I think i'll try some of those tips. Maybe i can build up to it, like jeans then capris and hopefully/eventually shorts
crayola washable markers
crayola washable markers
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 604
Tickets 721

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:27 am

personally i wouldn't want to wear those things because it's basically more eye-catching towards guys sO.
but telling them things like "I'm growing up you have to let me do this!!" isn't gonna help ya sorry. They probably don't think you're old enough yet. it's actually against my religion so. but if you don't want to wear jeans/capris there's these really cute loose pants that you could wear with a tank top?? or dresses/skirts. but yeah anyways, just make sure you don't disrespect them because that'll make them never let you do those things xD

Back to top Go down

Post by King K Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 pm

I've never struggled with not being allowed to wear certain things but I think maybe you should talk to your parents but do it in a considerate manner not in a way that would make them angry or hurt their feelings. I'd suggest maybe you shopping with your Mum to buy some shorts and you can come to an agreement on what type you can wear! If not that skirts are always a great option and you can always wear tights with them. And job-wise you could always ask your manager to give your parents their opinion on you and recommend you changing to a different job?? I hope they will change their opinion cx
King K
King K
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 8187
Tickets 12447

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Actually, as far as the job goes I can get it -- if you're going to be moving soon, an employer wouldn't be happy to know you're going to leave the area shortly after getting the job.  Though, about when is the move going to be?

As for the shorts, point out that even ten-year-olds wear shorts.  It's a matter of practicality over style.  Maybe negotiate with capris and work your way from there?

MollyFlyer
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 225
Tickets 224

Back to top Go down

Post by Faye Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:48 pm

agreed with the above Very Happy

I don't really understand why you're so desperate to get a job though? Over here minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is REALLY low and it's not really worth it in my opinion, since what you get paid is equivalent to the bus fare to get to work lol. Also, the older you get, the more schoolwork you'l have, and I wouldn't recommend spending the little free time you'll have on working bc you need a break sometimes How can i convince my parents into letting me grow up? 1664520639

If your parents are religious, like Sara said, it's actually against some religions to wear shorts c: 
At the end of the day your parents are trying to look out for you and it's true that kids these days are wearing more revealing clothing at a younger age, and 'growing up too fast'. I'm not comfortable seeing people my age wearing too short shorts or showing too much skin either.

I can sympathise with you about shorts in hot weather though :/ maybe try shorts with tights or leggings first, or wear a skirt to keep cool?
Faye
Faye
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 2040
Tickets 849

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:43 am

Shorts with tights can get pretty warm, though . . . a flowy skirt might be a fun thing to wear for summer; it's be stylish and cover enough skin to satisfy your parents.

MollyFlyer
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 225
Tickets 224

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Felt I should add, because you might (like me) tend to shy away from stuff like skirts -- it allows airflow around your legs while minimizing the risk of sunburn, and it can be surprisingly fun to twirl in.

MollyFlyer
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 225
Tickets 224

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Locked.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down