Fandomtopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War In Syria- An Article By Shazza

5 posters

Go down

War In Syria- An Article By Shazza Empty War In Syria- An Article By Shazza

Post by andromeda Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:22 am

The armed conflict in Syria has been taking place for nearly 5 years, resulting in the death of over 250,000 Syrians. The main conflict itself began when anti-government protests turned into fighting, and that itself spanned out into the large civil war taking place today. More than 11 million have been forced out of their homes through forces loyal to the President, Bashar al-Assad and those opposed to his war clashing, with disasterous input from jihadist militants.

The first protests were recorded in March 2011 after three teenagers were arrested and toruted in Deraa for painting "revolutionary" slogans on the wall of a school. During the protests, security opened fire in the streets, killing and wounding many, but inspiring many to continue the protests. By July 2011, thousands had taken to the streets.

The violence broke out more seriously when rebel forces assembled to "take on" the government. By 2012, fighting reached Damascus and Aleppo, now one of the most affected cities. By June 2013, the UN released figures that said 90,000 had been killed in the conflict, and data released in August 2015 showed us that the number rose by approximately 160,000, the outstanding total of the time was 250,000 reported dead. The conflict has continued to get more severe, and the Sunni Muslims have started to pitch against the President's Shia Alawite sect. The increase of Jihadist militants has added more tension to the conflict.

In August 2013, one of the biggest killings took place, with thousands being killed by rockets filled with sarin, a nerve agent, were fired at suburbs of Damascus. Western powers claim the attack was so strateigic only Government forces could have carried it out, but Government forces claim it was not them who ordered this attack. After the US threatened military intervention, President Assad agreed on the complete removal and destruction of the inventory of Syria's chemical weaponry. Despite the operation being completed a year later, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) recorded chemicals still being used. In 2014, between April and July, it was reported "Chlorine was being used repeatedly and systematically" during attacks. Islamic State have also been blamed for using homemade chemical weapons such as 'sulphur mustard', a blistering agent. It was used in an attack in 2015, resulting in the death of a baby.

Since the start of the civil war, figures have risen to a reported 4.5 million Syrians having fled the country, the majority women and children. Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey have been the countries under the most strain trying to handle "One of the lsrgest refugee crises in recent history". 10% of refugees seek refuge in Europe, causing political tension as countries argue over "sharing the burden". 6.5 million people in Syria are displaced, 1.2 million of those in 2015 alone. The UN claim it will require a total of $3.2bln to aid 13.5 million people, 6 million of those children, who need humanitarian aid. Figures published show 70% of people in Syria are without safe water, one in three cannot meet the bare minimum food needs, and four out of five people live in dire poverty. However, there are problems getting this aid through as more than 4.5 million people now live in 'hard-to-reach areas'

The war in Syria continues still today, with Aleppo now one of the most affected cities. Humanitarian aid is constantly being sent and temporary ceasefires decided on, but nothing shows that there is any chance of the war stopping soon.

(Facts and figures taken from the BBC website)

-Shazza
andromeda
andromeda
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2774
Tickets 967

Back to top Go down

War In Syria- An Article By Shazza Empty Re: War In Syria- An Article By Shazza

Post by Hazza Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Wow thanks for posting this. I don't know much of what is happening outside my country, but I know some countries have it really bad and what is going on over there is pretty bad. It's really awful to see that amount of violence and deaths.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by Anika Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 am

Thank you so much for the article, Shazza!

What angers me greatly is the amount of western press coverage giving to attacks and conflicts in the West alone yet they are ignoring what happens in countries like Syria? Thousands die in Syria everyday and where is their justice if we flit around these types of topics? /:

Anyway, I'm so grateful you posted this!
Anika
Anika
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 4
Posts 991
Tickets 13006

Back to top Go down

Post by Faye Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:02 am

Fantastic article Shazza! <3

If I read correctly, a few days ago the government regained control over the city of Aleppo - with the help of Russia - which is a dangerous victory for the Assad regime, because it has essentially forced most of the remaining citizens of the city to flee due to their homes being destroyed.

Anika - I completely agree that there's a complete imbalance of press coverage; I get the feeling that sometimes people might get 'bored' of reading about the constant suffering of people that aren't related to them, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is happening and that we can be taking more steps to help such as lobbying politicians to allow more refugees into the country or even assembling aid packages to send over (there are organisations which do this). For example, there was plenty of press coverage during the attacks on Paris earlier this year whereas every day the same number of people, if not more, are killed in parts of the non-Western world such as Syria and if you just skim-read the news every day you wouldn't be aware of this because it's not reported on - in fact, the rhetoric from some media outlets is that richer, developed Western countries should stop taking in refugees because they 'steal jobs and resources' or are 'dangerous'. The reality is that some refugees are actually highly skilled and educated and have been forced to leave their country because it is no longer safe to live in.
Faye
Faye
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 2040
Tickets 849

Back to top Go down

Post by andromeda Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am

Faye wrote:Fantastic article Shazza! <3

If I read correctly, a few days ago the government regained control over the city of Aleppo - with the help of Russia - which is a dangerous victory for the Assad regime, because it has essentially forced most of the remaining citizens of the city to flee due to their homes being destroyed.

Anika - I completely agree that there's a complete imbalance of press coverage; I get the feeling that sometimes people might get 'bored' of reading about the constant suffering of people that aren't related to them, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is happening and that we can be taking more steps to help such as lobbying politicians to allow more refugees into the country or even assembling aid packages to send over (there are organisations which do this). For example, there was plenty of press coverage during the attacks on Paris earlier this year whereas every day the same number of people, if not more, are killed in parts of the non-Western world such as Syria and if you just skim-read the news every day you wouldn't be aware of this because it's not reported on - in fact, the rhetoric from some media outlets is that richer, developed Western countries should stop taking in refugees because they 'steal jobs and resources' or are 'dangerous'. The reality is that some refugees are actually highly skilled and educated and have been forced to leave their country because it is no longer safe to live in.
Anika and Faye, i agree with both of your points. The news is derogatory and all for propaganda. Our countries are not causing the Paris attacks, the members of each terrorist group is, but the country that we are bombing is never shown
andromeda
andromeda
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2774
Tickets 967

Back to top Go down

Post by Beloved♡ Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this article, Shazza! 

Recently, during my AP English class, we were listening to a podcast about the war.

It breaks my heart to hear the news of Syria and many innocent people who get killed just for standing up for what's just and for their freedom. It makes me angered and saddened that the government isn't doing anything to help these people, rather turning against them.
Beloved♡
Beloved♡
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 8
Posts 3477
Tickets 2701

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down