Fandomtopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read

+16
Savanah
ETRD
Mark
ReadtheRavishing
Hazza
Faye
Admin
Aleesa❥
Leela
Jəssıca
Timothy
Ani
Maddy
ali.
Moose
Catty♡
20 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read

Post by ReadtheRavishing Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Twohe10

Hello lovelies <3 
I'm starting my sophomore year of college next week, and since I've gotten questions about what it's like and all that jazz, I thought I'd just post here about just about everything. No daily updates, but I will post whenever something worth posting happens I guess. Enjoy  Very Happy

~8.16.2014~
Tomorrow is move-in! My parents and I drove to Nashville today and will stay in a hotel here so we can get an early start in the morning. It's sort of bittersweet, the whole process.

What I'll miss:
`My family (mostly....lol)
`My car (Having to depend on friends for rides gets kinda annoying, but keeping track of a car is more so.)
`My cat Sad
`My friends (Many of them are attending local schools back home, so I'll be able to see them when I'm home on break)
`My own room and full size bed

What I won't miss:
`My family (love them but good grief I need to get away)
`Chores (no more dishes!)

What I'm looking forward to:
`Something to do. Summer is great but I'm bored now.
`My church! It's where I met all my college friends.
`A new, fresh year with awesome classes (I hope)
`Only 2 or 3 classes per day
`Unlimited internet! In my city for some insane reason, we have limited wireless so I've had to drop Netflix. I've got major catching up to do.

What I'm not looking forward to:
`Sharing a room and bathroom
`The dining hall food...blegh.
`Classes and having each one in a different building.
`An 8 am class on Tuesdays.

At least this year I know what I'm getting into!
Tomorrow I'll show you my new dorm room in the brand new residence hall. But for now, goodnight, and adieu.
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty Re: The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read

Post by Ani Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 pm

nice blog!!!! its amazing to know about your life! lol
haha i wish i could read it tomorrow but i'm visiting and staying over at my relatives house so i cant:( 
i really want to see what ur dorm looks like. 
Spoiler:
Ani
Ani
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 7561
Tickets 10115

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty Re: The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read

Post by Hazza Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Wow that sounds amazing! I can't believe that you're in college. I hope your sophomore year goes great.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 am

Gosh, I love your blog so far! I'm sure your sophomore year will go well! <3 I can't wait to see your next post (:
Admin
Admin
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 0
Posts 12165
Tickets 1621

Back to top Go down

Post by King K Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 am

Ooh nice blog! I never knew you went to college :DD
King K
King K
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 8187
Tickets 12447

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Nice blog <33 Post more! <333

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty I Get A New Room

Post by ReadtheRavishing Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 pm

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Twohe11

~8.17.2014~

Move-in. Was. INSANE.
You know, last year, it was so organized. 'Ok little freshman, here's your move-in time, and park here, and oh look here's the cute baseball team to help get all your stuff from the car to your room!' I guess now you're committed to a second year they don't see the need to do that.

Ok so they tell us we can start moving in at 10 am, right? Well we get there at exactly 10, but we can't even get into the parking lot. They say, oh, come back in an hour or so.
 xD  Seriously?
So we go to Walmart to get food and stuff and a minifridge. And then get in about 2 hours later. And it was a madhouse! No order anywhere. Luckily I'm on the second floor so we didn't have to spend more than one trip waiting on the elevators.

Anyway. Now to the exciting part. My new room!
The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Dorm110
^My bed, desk, dresser and such
The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Dorm210
^Mini kitchen! (and laundry hamper lol) The drawer thing isn't really working out so we're gonna get something else later.

So yeah that's all the interesting parts anyway. There's a bathroom inbetween our room and the room next door (which is much bigger than I anticipated). The building is brand new which is really nice, but until I get a rug it's SO COLD cause of the tile floors (last year I had carpet). 

Well classes don't start until Wednesday so I don't know what I'm gonna do until then...netflix it is!

Last edited by ReadtheRavishing on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Nice room! It looks like you'll going to have a great year.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by ETRD Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Hope move in was great! Cool blog though!
ETRD
ETRD
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 3256
Tickets 21075

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty My Summer Officially Ends

Post by ReadtheRavishing Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:00 pm

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Twohe12
~8.20.2014~

Grab your popcorn kids cause this is gonna be kinda long.

So today was first day of classes, right? So it wasn't so bad since it was syllabus day, but it was still class which are ugh. 
Here's my schedule!
The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Fall2010
Not too shabby this semester, except that block of 3 back-to-back-to-back classes. But only one class on Tuesday which is nice. 
Mmkay so I'm just gonna walk ya through it (Just the MWF classes obviously cause I haven't been to Thursday classes yet).

Mass Media and Society: I have high hopes for this one. I mean the subject is cool regardless, it's going to be about how the media influences society and gets us to buy things through advertising and all that jazz.

French: Now, I was planning on taking Japanese, but I got an email from the school last minute saying they couldn't find a Japanese professor so I had to pick something else. The only option in my high school was Spanish, which, frankly, I'm sick of and don't really like in the first place. I'm sort of familiar with French and it's the second most useful (I think) for where I am and what I plan on doing (plus it sounds cool). But of course the prof just starts saying everything in French, but he repeats everything and makes sure we understand, and seems like a pretty chill guy.

Macroeconomics: Ugh. I'm taking is because it's a major requirement, not cause it's gonna be fun. The professor seems nice but she's very, very picky. Like, on the syllabus it says you get a point deducted from your final grade if you wear a hat to class or have your phone/laptop out. She also said our paper headings couldn't have anything except our name on them, which is a bummer because it's a good trick for making your paper longer; put your name, date, class, teacher, assignment, and so on. 'Cept she knows better. 

Business Math (or, Quantitative Methods in Business but that's a long name): Ok so I think, I'm good at math. I sort of like it. Then I get to this class. Apparently there will be lots of calculus. I took pre-cal 3 years ago, so that might be a bit of a challenge. And, I can tell there will be mostly word problems and figuring out solutions to things, which I don't like. 

So that's the classes I had today. Getting to them, however, was the most difficult. MMS, French, and math were all in the brand new building which somewhat resembles a maze, and the directional signs aren't up yet so you end up walking around in circles a few times trying to find the right room. For Macro I had to walk to another building, then back the the new building. And I have a lot of books to carry around. And the 92 degree F weather with like 70% humidity didn't help either. Oh, did I mention the building I have Macro in has a broken A/C?

And now I'm going to put my pjs on and plan on staying in my 68 degree F room for the rest of the day.

Last edited by ReadtheRavishing on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Wow that sounds like an interesting and hard day. I hope you do well in all of your classes!
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadtheRavishing Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:33 pm

(almost forgot I also did the freshman/new student initiation thing last night for the second year in a row as a returning sophomore shhhhh)
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Oh wow that's awesome, probably a little annoying.
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Wow, sounds like your classes are pretty good this year (: I hope everything goes well for you <3
Admin
Admin
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 0
Posts 12165
Tickets 1621

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddy Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Sounds cool! I hope you do well on your classes!
Maddy
Maddy
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 799
Tickets 977

Back to top Go down

Post by Catty♡ Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 am

I love your blog :]
Catty♡
Catty♡
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Reputation 0
Posts 534
Tickets 344

Back to top Go down

Post by ETRD Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:25 am

Amasing!
ETRD
ETRD
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 3256
Tickets 21075

Back to top Go down

Post by Ani Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 am

i love your dorm
Ani
Ani
Elite Member
Elite Member

Reputation 0
Posts 7561
Tickets 10115

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Are you in Vanderbilt?!  I went to visit that college!  XD  I'm not sure if i'll go there though cause I don't think it has what I want :/
Mark
Mark
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1039
Tickets 1082

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadtheRavishing Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Haha no, I'm at Belmont which is practically next door. Vandy would have been cool, but I'm an AV production major and Vandy is mostly science and math and that kind of thing, plus it's difficult to get into (not that I'm saying I couldn't have though haha)
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Oh cool!  My friend goes there and is in the orchestra there :DD
Mark
Mark
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 0
Posts 1039
Tickets 1082

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty I Still Don't Know French

Post by ReadtheRavishing Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Twohe13

~8.22.2014~
AW SNOT I FORGOT TO POST THIS YESTERDAY ERRRRRR
OK so yesterday I only had two classes, French for the second time and Remote Video Production which is one of my major requirements. (I have French four times a week cause it's a 4 credit hour class like all the other intro language classes) 

MORE FRENCH
In case you didn't get the memo, I don't know French. My only option in high school was Spanish, so that's what I took. 3 years of it. And come to find out it was probably the least effective Spanish class in history (I had the same teacher all 3 years and by the last year he just didn't give a care cause he was about to retire)
Needless to say, I'm sick of Spanish. It's a great language, and lots of people in this country speak it, but I'm just done.
French is pretty. It's useful (think more Canada than France) and it's way easier than Japanese was gonna be (pretty sure I would have died if I took Japanese). Except I keep thinking in Spanish, like when we say the alphabet, it's pretty similar to the Spanish alphabet, until you get to E. In Spanish it's pronounced like the -ey in "hey". In French, it sounds like "uh". Like what.
But I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Remote Video Production
Hmm I don't quite know about this one yet, since we didn't really do anything production-y yesterday, just talked about the syllabus and stuff. I took the intro class last fall, but we're gonna use different editing programs so I'll be learning all over again.

So yeah that was yesterday. Today was Wednesday all over again, except it was even more humid. And I didn't place the tea bags in the tea maker correctly so I have to start my sweet tea all over again. And my dorm is way farther away from my classes than last year so my calves are burning from the extra walking and stairs. SO MANY STAIRS UGH. But hey at least I don't take the elevator give me some credit.

BON WEEK-END!

(yeah that's french but obviously weekend isn't a french word my professor said they just stole it from us without even bothering to make it sound french so you get stuff like 'french french french french *american accent* WEEKEND')

Last edited by ReadtheRavishing on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazza Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Sounds amazing!
Hazza
Hazza
Founder Samantha
Founder Samantha

Reputation 29
Posts 86778
Tickets 79474

Back to top Go down

Post by ETRD Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Yes! This blog is amazing.
ETRD
ETRD
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 2
Posts 3256
Tickets 21075

Back to top Go down

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Empty We Have a Late-Night Laundry Adventure

Post by ReadtheRavishing Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:23 pm

The World of Higher Education~a blog by Read Twohe14
~8.24.2014~
Gather round kids it's story time.

Once upon a time, a.k.a. two days ago, my roommate and I were doing laundry. Fun right? Anyway, the laundry room is on the bottom floor (our room is on the second) and it was like 10 at night and I was in my pjs. Yes this is important information.

So, we get in the elevator to go back to our room with our laundry done and folded. We get out on the floor, but can't get into the hallway. The doors to the hallway are locked and you have to scan your ID to get in, but ours weren't working. In fact, instead of just turning red, the scanner actually flashed blue, which I've never seen them do before. We just figured, you know, new building, still a few bugs to work out.

A minute later this girl scans her card for us and it works for her, so we go into the hallway.

We get halfway to our room when I realize something's not quite right. Now our dorm doors have cute little paper popsicles with our names on them. These doors, that we were walking past, did not have popsicles. They instead had little cartoon-ish faces on them with the names. Alright, well the RAs did change them periodically, but we had only been here a week, seems a little soon.

It's not until we see the guy walk past us that I realize something is SERIOUSLY WRONG.
"...Jessica. JESSICA STOP."
"What?"
"...THIS ISN'T OUR FLOOR."

In our defense, all the hallways look exactly the same. It wouldn't have been such a problem if we hadn't walked into A GUY'S FLOOR.

DID I MENTION I WAS IN MY PAJAMAS.

We literally sprint back to the elevators, praying no one else saw us. Yes, we actually somehow managed to press the wrong button on the elevator and get out on the wrong floor without noticing. Our cards didn't work with the scanner because they WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO. We think the girl who let us in must have been another RA, but why she didn't question two girls headed into a guy's floor with laundry at 10:30 at night, we don't know.

So, that happened.

Last edited by ReadtheRavishing on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReadtheRavishing
ReadtheRavishing
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Reputation 1
Posts 2133
Tickets 2830

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next